Re: [Xen-users] routed networking

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Pete McEvoy <pete@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:07:49 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:08:04 -0800

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 01:18:16PM +0000, Pete McEvoy wrote:
> I'm preparing a host to be shipped to a datacentre, with the aim of
> replicating 2 seperate machines in another datacentre.
> My question is, do I need 4 public addresses to achieve this?
> My understanding is I'll need a public address for the dom0, one for the
> bridge and then one for each domU.
> Thanks in advance

I've been advised off list to be more specific in my requirements, which
I guess is a fair request, the only problem being a lack of knowledge on
my part to elaborate further.

Up 'til now, I've been happily using the vif-bridge script for all my
domUs, giving them unallocated ips within 10.0.0.0/16 range. I now need
to set up a xen host in a datacentre with each domU having a routable
public ip address.  The person in the datacentre wants to know how many
public ip addresses I require, and I need to make sure I have this box
setup correctly before I ship it halfway across the country.
I know for sure that I want to end up with the two domUs having their
own routable public ip addresses, and I assume the dom0 would need its
own ip as well, but over and above that, I'm floundering.

At this point I probably dont need to point out that I'd like to keep
this setup as simple as possible, I'm cock-eyed from reading the many
xen networking guides google finds, and I'm begining to suspect that
even what I had assumed would be a fairly trivial setup may be somewhat
beyond my complexity horizon.

Thanks, again, in advance.

--
Pete