[Xen-users] Re: routed networking

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 08:07:49PM +0000, Pete McEvoy wrote:
> Up 'til now, I've been happily using the vif-bridge script for all my
> domUs, giving them unallocated ips within 10.0.0.0/16 range. I now need
> to set up a xen host in a datacentre with each domU having a routable
> public ip address.  The person in the datacentre wants to know how many
> public ip addresses I require, and I need to make sure I have this box
> setup correctly before I ship it halfway across the country.
> I know for sure that I want to end up with the two domUs having their
> own routable public ip addresses, and I assume the dom0 would need its
> own ip as well, but over and above that, I'm floundering.

So instead of allocating 10.0/16 addresses to your domUs, you just allocate
public IPs to your domUs.

It might help to think of the bridge as a regular Ethernet switch, and each
of the machines (dom0 and domU) as a separate physical machine.  Then you
just configure each machine as you would normally, and leave the bridge to
play Ethernet games in the middle.  Using that mental model has never
steered me wrong yet.

- Matt

--
"I'm tempted to try Gentoo, but then I learned that its installer is in
Python, and, well, a base Python install on my system is something like