Re: [Xen-users] routed networking

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pete@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: Michael Froh <michael.froh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:46:36 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 01:41:33 -0800

From: Pete McEvoy <pete@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: November 27, 2006 3:07:49 PM EST (CA)
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] routed networking

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 01:18:16PM +0000, Pete McEvoy wrote:
I'm preparing a host to be shipped to a datacentre, with the aim of
replicating 2 seperate machines in another datacentre.
My question is, do I need 4 public addresses to achieve this?
My understanding is I'll need a public address for the dom0, one for the
bridge and then one for each domU.
Thanks in advance

I've been advised off list to be more specific in my requirements, which
I guess is a fair request, the only problem being a lack of knowledge on
my part to elaborate further.

Up 'til now, I've been happily using the vif-bridge script for all my
domUs, giving them unallocated ips within 10.0.0.0/16 range. I now need
to set up a xen host in a datacentre with each domU having a routable
public ip address.  The person in the datacentre wants to know how many
public ip addresses I require, and I need to make sure I have this box
setup correctly before I ship it halfway across the country.
I know for sure that I want to end up with the two domUs having their
own routable public ip addresses, and I assume the dom0 would need its
own ip as well, but over and above that, I'm floundering.

At this point I probably dont need to point out that I'd like to keep
this setup as simple as possible, I'm cock-eyed from reading the many
xen networking guides google finds, and I'm begining to suspect that
even what I had assumed would be a fairly trivial setup may be somewhat
beyond my complexity horizon.

Thanks, again, in advance.

--
Pete

I am also new to xen so take with a grain of salt.  I found the networking wiki
page to be very useful in understanding how xen networking functions:

My interpretation of your requirements and this wiki page are:
- you want all DomU's visible to Internet
- you want DomU to have a single eth interface
- you want to use bridge networking
- you don't mind having Dom0 publicly addressable
- xenbr0 (bridge) does not use an IP (as per wiki)

Then you should need an IP address for each of the eth interfaces on your
physical server and one for each of your DomU vms.  For example if your
server has a single eth0 interface, you would need 3 IPs for each of Dom0,
DomU1 and DomU2.

Cheers,
Mike.