Re: [Xen-users] Problem start iptables - udp broken

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jaroslaw Zdrzalek <jz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:56:44 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 01:44:56 -0800

Am Dienstag 28 November 2006 12:10 schrieb Bill Maidment:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:22:53 +0100, Abel Martín wrote
>
> > I forgot to ask you. Are you trying to filter traffic for domU in
> > dom0? If you are trying to do this with iptables and Xen bridged
> > networking it has no sense, since a bridged device is a link layer
> > device and iptables works above at network and trasport layer.
>
> I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but what method is recommended to
> firewall the
> xen0?  Is it illogical to run a bridged network if you want to firewall xen0?

the bridge is the most popular approach and it has no or few side effects.
When using network-bridge each domain has virtual interfaces connected
to a virtual switch. No routing is required nor specail handling like nat in
the dom0.
The domain0 is like any other domain regarding firewalling:
apply your rules to virtual interfaces (eth0, eth1).
Do not try to filter on pethX or the bridge having a little or limited
knowledge.

> Sorry for my ignorance. I'm still learning the ropes.
> Cheers
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Maidment