Re: [Xen-users] Unable to connect with VNC

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Morten Christensen <mc-xen@xxxxx>
  • From: Michael Froh <michael.froh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 22:32:23 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 02:00:48 -0800

From: Morten Christensen <mc-xen@xxxxx>
Date: December 3, 2006 8:16:18 AM EST (CA)
Subject: [Xen-users] Unable to connect with VNC

Debian unstable and Xen 3.0.3. I have had VNC working before a total new install but never understood it very well.

Whenever I try to connect with VNC to a domU from dom0 (or from another box), I get a message:

------------------
VNC Free Edition 4.1.1 for X - built Nov 10 2006 06:38:35

Sun Dec 3 13:02:09 2006
main :   unable to connect to host: Connection refused (111)
------------------

Morten.

I believe the VNC provided by Xen effectively replaces the monitor/keyboard for the virtual machine.  Therefore, the VNC
server for VMs is actually running in Dom0 and not on DomU.  For example, given the configuration you list, you should
connect to <Dom0 IP>:5905 to get the display of DomU.

The vnc-listen parameter will restrict which IPs can access the server running on Dom0. "0.0.0.0" allows vnc
connections from any IP address.

You can check which ports vnc is listening on using the following command line in Dom0:
"netstat -l | grep tcp | grep 59"

This should filter out only the vnc server ports listening for tcp connections.

If you want to have VNC access served by the DomU, then you have to have vncserver installed on the VM, configured,
and running.  As someone else on the list mentioned, the Xen vnc display works during bootup, shutdown, and when the
network is not up, so there are definite advantages to using the Xen vnc display.

Hope this helps,
Mike.

I can connect with VNC to domO from outside, and it can loop where dom0 connects to itself.
/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp is changed to
(vnc-listen '0.0.0.0')

The domU-cfg has
vnc = 1
vncviewer = 1
vncdisplay = 5

I have tried many differend values for vnsdisplay and without that line. Same result. As I have tried everything, I can imagine, and need some ideas for, where the problem might be.

--
Morten Christensen