Re: [Xen-users] XEN 3.0.3 on Ubuntu 6.10: Dom0 reboot

Petersson, Mats a écrit :
-----Original Message-----
From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of PUCCETTI Armand
Sent: 30 November 2006 17:42
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] XEN 3.0.3 on Ubuntu 6.10: Dom0 reboot

I just compiled XEN 3.0.3 on Ubuntu 6.10 (kernel 2.6.17-10) with the following flags:

$ make dist CC=gcc-4.1 verbose=y debug=y perfc=y debugger=y
$ make install CC=gcc-4.1 verbose=y debug=y perfc=y debugger=y

And added the simple following lines to my GRUB config:

title           Xen 3.0.3 / Linux 2.6.16.29
root            (hd0,2)
kernel          /boot/xen-3.0.3-0.gz dom0_mem=1048576
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.29-xen root=/dev/sda3 ro max_loop=64
#module         /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16.29-xen
savedefault
boot

Booting that Xenified Ubuntu leads it to crash and reboot just after the line:
(XEN) XEN trace buffers: disabled

Does anyone knwo about causes to that crash?

Not very easy from that description - it could be just about anything -
the next thing that happens is that the actual linux kernel is loaded,
which may have something to do with the "crash".
If you have the ability to use serial port and a second machine to log
the serial output, that would help a whole lot. I'm a little bit concerned that your initrd is commented out - have you
disabled modules in the 2.6.16.29-xen kernel? If not, then you're most
likely going to fail on boot because the drivers for your SCSI/SATA
(sda?) aren't available.
The config file for my P4 HT w/ EMT64 is apaprently ./buildconfigs/linux-defconfig_xen_x86_64
in the source distribution. The SATA related parameters are as follows:

CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_AHCI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SVW=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_MV=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_NV=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PDC_ADMA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_QSTOR=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_PROMISE=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SX4=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SIL=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SIL24=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SIS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_ULI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_VIA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_VITESSE=m
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_INTEL_COMBINED=y

That should build the SATA drivers I presume and load them.
(I have an Intel 82801 SATA controller IDE).

I do not have an initrd RAM disk as I could not build it by hand. The default XEN distro
does not make it by default. When I produce it by hand, I get the error:

$ mkinitrd -o initrd.img-2.6.16.29-xen 2.6.16.29-xen
File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
File descriptor 7 left open
   Finding all volume groups
 No volume groups found
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: 253:0: Cannot find LVM device

But, when I change in the config file the MD parameter to n, the same err comes out.
Is there any parameter about LVM to change?

#
# Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)
#
CONFIG_MD=n
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=y
CONFIG_MD_LINEAR=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID0=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID1=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID10=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID5=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID6=m
CONFIG_MD_MULTIPATH=m
CONFIG_MD_FAULTY=m

Likewise, you may need to modify the configuration to add the SCSI/SATA
drivers necessary for your hardware - check that the right drivers are
there (lsmod on a working configuration may help figuring out which
drivers you need, for example).

In my distribution, the SATA related drivers built, and located in ./dist/install/lib/modules/2.6.16.29-xen/kernel/drivers/scsi are
sata_mv.ko       sata_qstor.ko  sata_sis.ko  sata_uli.ko
sata_nv.ko       sata_sil24.ko  sata_svw.ko  sata_via.ko
sata_promise.ko  sata_sil.ko    sata_sx4.ko  sata_vsc.ko

On the host platform (same machine w/ Ubuntu 6.10),I have the modules:

ata_piix               13828  6
libata                 88984  1 ata_piix
scsi_mod              181424  3 sg,sd_mod,libata

Now, what modules should I load such that it becomes loaded by default in XEN?
Curiously, the first compilation of XEN downloads kernel 2.6.16.29 and not 2.6.17.10 which is actually running on the host machine! Can that be configured? maybe using an option as KERNEL="2.6.17*" ?

The Xen source code contains a specification of which kernel to use, in
this case 2.6.16.29. To use a different kernel, you'll need to specify
which kernel you want, but also, you're not guaranteed that the patches
for the kernel will work without problems with a different kernel - it
may, but it's also possible that it doesn't.
I think you'll need to specify the EXACT kernel version from
www.kernel.org that you want to download, no wildcards would be
allowed...
OK
--
Mats
thanks for your help.

Armand
Thanks in advance for any hint!

PS: The only change wrt the original XEN source was in file xen-3.0.3_0-src/linux-2.6.16.29-xen/kernel/panic.c
where I added the patch

// #ifdef CONFIG_STACK_PROTECTOR
void __stack_chk_fail(void)
{
 panic("stack-protector: Stack is corrupted\n");
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL(__stack_chk_fail);
//#endif

otherwise XEN does not compile correctly but errs with an undefined __stack_chk_fail symbol.