RE: [Xen-users] will this CPU/Board combo work for xen HVM ?

  • To: nig@xxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 16:28:42 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:29:49 -0800

Can't say anything about either motherboard, but in theory, the
motherboard shouldn't really matter here - all the virtualization for
HVM in the AMD-case is done by the processor and the chipset/BIOS
features don't matter at all. That's the theory - practice may of course
prove otherwise. I can't say, as I'm using an old internal AMD
motherboard for my platform, because that's what we had a year or so
before the HVM enabled processors and motherboards where available on
the open market...

> and
>
> AMD Athlon64 3000+ AM2 "box" 512kB, Sockel AM2

Should be fine. If you really want to run more than one domain (dom0 +
another one), I would recommend that you use a dual-core processor since
that will give one core for the Dom0 and one to run the rest of the
stuff. Particularly HVM requires a decent amount of Dom0 CPU power, so
you'll be loosing that amount of CPU performance within the DomU (and
whatever losses that the virtualization itself does, which is very much
dependant on what your DomU is actually doing).

> I also plan to give the hvm domu access to pci device,
> heard the rumor that this will not work at the moment, true ?

That is true for any near forseeable future. I don't expect any hardware
available for the next several months that support REAL IOMMU for HVM
domains - IBM's Calgary hardware may be the first to be supported by
Xen, but that's not exactly your budget Home-PC...

--
Mats