Re: [Xen-users] WnXP HVM crashes, freezes whole system when trying to update XP

Bernd wrote:
Hi all,
I am running xen 3.0.2 on OpenSuse 10.1.
I could install WinXP in a DomU, bridged network is connected and running.

When I try to run a windows update or try to stall the sevicepack 2 from cd, the domU crasches after some minutes. Not enough, my whole system freezes. I have to make a cold restart!

Does anyone of you have an idea how this can be fixed?

Dropping the amount of memory assigned to Dom0 to 512MB or less (e.g. 384MB) can help. Also, as Mats suggested, upgrading to the most recent XEN kernels and tools can help. I don't think 3.0.3 has quite been released yet (I haven't checked for a while to be honest).

You can find the current builds for XEN on the Novell Forge site:
http://forge.novell.com (search for XEN Technical Preview)

Alternatively, openSUSE 10.2 is about to be released (this Thursday I have heard).

Jon