Re: [Xen-users] backing up a shared server with single VPS

  • To: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
  • From: "Nagita Karunaratne" <nagita.k@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 04:23:46 -0800
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 01:17:01 -0800

On 12/12/06, Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/11/06, Nagita Karunaratne <nagita.k@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am very new to xen and not even a linux novice.

You really mean you are *not* a novice,

I'm a linux novice. I am trying to gauge what is possible before I talk to my sysadmin.

> I would like to install a shard hosting environment in one large Xen vps

In my understanding, a VPS is already a virtualized system
(VPS=Virtual Private Server) - mostly they are made with vserver or
virtuozzo. It's unlikley that you can install Xen inside of it.

I just thought of using Xen as a wrapper around a regular shared hosting environment

> I was hoping to reduce downtime.

This is really something that cannot be answered in one sentence. I
think, in general, it can't be said that you always spare a lot
downtime by just making bare metal copies of the full harddisk.

Maybe I should be  looking at regular backup systems.

I currently have three Xen vps instances for development and I have asked for one vps to be copied onto another.

Therefore I thought of installing a single vps onto a dedicated server and backing up the image instead.

Therefore if there is a problem that cannot be fixed quickly I can simple restore the original OS, Xen and then copy the backup image. I can also install it on another spare server.

* I just want a reliable way to restore a backup very quickly.*

Thats all,
Nagita