[Xen-users] Windows install sees only 1MB [MBR] partition.

  • To: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Edward Ing <inge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:08:07 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:08:17 -0800

I am trying to install Windows XP as guest to be run under HVM on its
own partition -- not in an image file as described in the documentation.
The critical parameter is:

disk = [ 'phy:sdb6,hda,w', 'file:/var/iso/WINDOWS_XP.ISO,hdc:cdrom,r']

My DomU works properly and boots to the installation disk. But during
the installation procedure I get the XP installation partitioning
screen, but my partition is only recognized to be 1MB long.
The partition information box says:
"1 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]"

So it thinks the sdb6 partition as viewed as an hda drive as a 1 MB
disk.

Any ideas why? Can you not install guest Windows XP into a partition or
must it be in a file image?

Edward Ing
Mississauga, Ontario.