Re: [Xen-users] Installing modules

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> Xen Help wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone knows how to have modules installed when compiling and
> > installing Xen as the README file is incomplete about it.
> > I cannot simply run make module_install somwhow. I did compile the three
> > flavors (-xen -xen0 -xenU) with iptables options BUT the modules are never
> > installed. I am on CentOS 4-4

if you cd in to the top level xen source directory and type either make
install or make kernels, the kernels are built and the modules _are_
installed...

(obviously they aren't installed into the domU filesystems, you'll need to
copy/tar/rsync /lib/modules/2.6.16-xenU/ to them... for that reason I
prefer to build in the options I'm going to use. )

The make file has a pretty good help target... (see below)

> If you're unfamiliar with kernel installation, I urge you to install the
> RHEL kernel RPM's, and to review the SRPM to see how to compile and
> install them.

not sure how applicable that is. Looking at things is never a bad idea,
but distribution specific RPMs are usually a dog's breakfast of extra
patches.

[root@xen1 ~]# cd /usr/src/xen-3.0.2-2/
[root@xen1 /usr/src/xen-3.0.2-2]# make help
Installation targets:
  install          - build and install everything
  install-xen      - build and install the Xen hypervisor
  install-tools    - build and install the control tools
  install-kernels  - build and install guest kernels
  install-docs     - build and install user documentation

Building targets:
  dist             - build and install everything into local dist directory
  world            - clean everything, delete guest kernel build
                     trees then make dist
  xen              - build and install Xen hypervisor
  tools            - build and install tools
  kernels          - build and install guest kernels
  kbuild           - synonym for make kernels
  docs             - build and install user documentation
  dev-docs         - build developer-only documentation

Cleaning targets:
  clean            - clean the Xen, tools and docs (but not
                     guest kernel) trees
<snip>