Re: [Xen-users] Install a VM's OS from Installation Source

Ulrich Windl wrote:
On 18 Dec 2006 at 21:02, Thomas Miller wrote:

I have looked hi and low for some detailed, Linux novice level
information on how to do this.

I have Xen installed using SUSE 10.2 amd64.   I have no problems booting
into Xen.

I would like to create 3 guest VMs, all Suse 10.2 amd64.

Where should I start?  And thanks in advance.

What is your question? Should we tell you what you want?
OK, you want to read the administrator GUIDE available as HTML and PDF ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich

Yep been there don that.  It doesn't speak to this issue.  It explains how to install from CD/DVD and from and FTP source, but not from the OS sources already on the hard disk.  If no one wants to help me with this, then I will stop asking and just assume you can't do it.

My motivation is several for being so persistent.

#1  I am giving a talk on VMs (both VMWare and Xen) at my users group meeting in Feb and would like to be prepared
#2  http://en.opensuse.org/How_to_Install_a_VM%27s_OS_from_Installation_Source    is blank.  If I am to write up this section for the wiki, I want to make sure that I am accurate
#3  Yast in 10.2 does not work and the help docs in this area is poor at best.  If I can figure this all out, I am hopeful to give the Yast programmers more info on why it is failing so it can be fixed for the next guy.  (I have already done this for the Samba wizard and I am hopeful it will be working properly in the next release).

If you experts would prefer I give up on the above efforts, more then happy to.
--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager

http://www.bss-software.com