Re: [Xen-users] Problem with WinXP install. Can start but not connect via vnc

Hi Benny,

Benny Pfitzner wrote:
Hi,

I run debian etch with xen packages provided by debian. They are running
fine.
Today I tryed to install Windows XP. Here is my config:
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/boot/hvmloader"
builder = 'hvm'
memory = 512
name = "winxp"
vcpus = 1
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'file://vserver/images/domains/winxp/winxp.img,ioemu:hda,w' ]
device_model = '/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
#cdrom='/dev/hda'
cdrom='/vserver/images/domains/winxp/winxp.iso'
The cdrom= lines had no effect for me, I think they're obsolete now or something, instead I have a disk line that looks like this;

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sys_vg/windows_os,ioemu:hda,w', 'file:/vserver/images/domains/winxp/winxp.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]

ne2000=0
boot='d'
vif  = [ 'ip=192.168.0.205' ]
vnc=1
vncviewer=0
Do you not have to set vncviewer to 1 to get it create the window for you? I personally used SDL instead (sdl=1). You also say your domain is 17, I think when I experimented with VNC I found it to create the listening port on something like 4017 or whatever. I used netstat -l to find out what port it was actually on.

Ben, lastly, could you check your /var/log/xen folder for error messages, specifically check the most recent qemu log.

Thanks,

Ryan.

When I try to start the domain it seems to run fine:
pfitzner:/etc/xen# xm create winxp2 Using config file "winxp2".
Started domain winxp

But when I try to connect to the domain via vnc I get the message that
the viewer can't connect:
pfitzner:/vserver/images/domains# vncviewer pfitzner:17
vncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection refused
Unable to connect to VNC server

P.S.:
17 is the ID of the domain and I have a Intel Pentuim D with VT:
pfitzner:/vserver/images/domains# xm dmesg | grep VMX
(XEN) VMXON is done
(XEN) VMXON is done

Does somebody might have a idea what I did do wrong?

Tanks Ben