[Xen-users] Limited networking in domU using routed vif

Hi all,

I'm having a rather strange networking problem with the first domU in my
new Xen box.  I'm using Debian etch, kernel 2.6.18-3-xen-vserver-amd64,
with Xen 3.0.3 provided by Debian.

The symptoms of my problem are that the domU and dom0 can ping each
other and pass UDP traffic, but the domU cannot make outgoing TCP
connections, nor can the dom0 make TCP connections to the domU.

Hosts in use are:
        dom0    10.0.0.1
        domU    10.0.0.2
        nonxen  10.0.0.3
The LAN is a /24 subnet, and dom0 proxy ARP's domU's address on the LAN.

What works:

action          src     dest
------          ---     ----
ping            dom0    domU
ping            domU    dom0
ping            nonxen  domU
ping            domU    nonxen
snmpwalk        dom0    domU
snmpwalk        nonxen  domU
DNS lookup      domU    dom0

What doesn't work:

ssh             dom0    domU
ssh             domU    dom0
ssh             nonxen  domU
ssh             domU    nonxen
http            domU    nonxen

I've worked out that it isn't a packet size issue by increasing the ping
payload size in various increments up to 2048 bytes.

I'm using Shorewall, an iptables preprocessor, for my firewall (using
this document: http://shorewall.net/XenMyWay-Routed.html), but these
symptoms persist even when the firewall is cleared.

I've double-checked that ethtool -k shows tx off on all NICs in
question, including the vif that connects to my domU.

It just seems like TCP is somehow not functional on this domU.  Any
ideas on how i can get this it networking correctly?

--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>