Re: [Xen-users] CIM @ LINUX(XEN) (FC6 or SuSE 10)

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 07:14 -0800, anant wrote:
> Yeah i know there is nothing to do with Xen to have CIM. But as i am not sure
> wether it is possible over Linux or not. And if its possible then my concern
> was to have it install over my SuSE10 guest operating system on top of Xen
> in FC6.
> So this way there is some connection with Xen here. May be i am wrong here,
> but to make it sure i started this thread under this list.
> So you said CIM is not supported on XEN by this do you want to say its not
> possible to install CIM over guest OS which are installed on top of XEN ?
> Thanks for your reply....

CIM, and the rest of the standards by DMTF are at best academic only..
and rather broad.

A company using Xen as its core, and *trying* to follow (at least
through UML) is www.3tera.com (AppLogic), which is based on (I think)
Xen 2.0.7

A more confusing question to answer your question is CIM as applied to
what? By saying CIM on Linux you're also alluding to SMASH and other
standards, which have yet to be considered much less evaluated by most
distros.

Like any other standard this is achieved in milestones. The new Xen API
based on xmlrpc is a good start, but I have no idea if XenCim is
targeting that, xenfs, or .. what.

There are thousands, and thousands of packages to consider, most
unrelated to Xen that have to conform (together) to meet that standard,
if I understand it correctly.

Without forking over $$$ to DMTF, I really can't get to the 'meat' of
what they're doing other than the academic papers, which I have neither
time nor inclination to read, so I could be misunderstanding it a bit.

When you say 'it' install over suse, which part of the standard are you
referring to?