Re: [Xen-users] Using pygrub

  • To: "Steve Kemp" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:31:46 +0100
  • Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:31:36 -0800
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=StkgMuur//NKFeSXpsxlZhfEyUxnef2EvVfW3TIxCBLPmnzVieNL17tUnIcmlxCF8nkuqZHgZ/7er5mALdMS1GaAvlGcz6z/PmEVAmPK+rHIlxW6dnUQt742FMJvy1slwTshjX2pDrj02R3eTOJTSq9xGRRWLd9Do4gFK9LT7lE=

On 12/29/06, Steve Kemp <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 05:55:24PM +0100, Henning Sprang wrote:

> Never used that myself yet, but because I know Fedora uses them when
> setting up a vm with virt-install/ virt-manager, I looked at my fedora
> test system.
> There, when I set init=/bin/sh I am thrown into /bin/sh as wanted.

  Right that is good to know.

  If from dom0 I call the pygrub program manually I see output which
 suggests things are working:

root@mine:~# /usr/bin/pygrub /dev/mine/trial.my.flat-disk

Going to boot Xen 3.0 default
  kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.33-xen
  initrd: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16.33-xen

linux (kernel /var/run/xend/boot/boot_kernel.7juE6P)
      (ramdisk /var/run/xend/boot/boot_ramdisk.3tfTUo)
      (args 'init=/bin/sh root=/dev/sda1 ro console=tty0')

  So the arguments have been read and contain my "init" string.

  However the system boots with no mention of that, and if I run
 "cat /proc/cmdline" in domU I don't see that string at all.

> Are you sure you edited the menu.lst *inside* the domU and point the
> bootloader correctly to this?

  Yes.  (Well I certainly edited the menu.lst file in domU, but I didn't
 point anything else anywhere - except to add the kernel  + initrd files
 inside the domU and add the 'bootloader' setting to the Xen config.)

> Or, maybe you did not uncomment a kernel= and root= line in the vm
> config file and this one is used instead? Do you see a grub boot
> menu when starting the domain?

  My complete domU configuration file is:

--
bootloader = '/usr/bin/pygrub'
disk       = [ 'phy:mine/trial.my.flat-disk,sda1,w',

  Which looks valid to me ..

I see one difference: on Fedora, I see them only using this when
configuring disks as full  block devices inside the domu and not
exporting single partitions into the domu.
So, they'd have something like this instead of your disk config line:

disk       = [ 'phy:mine/trial.my.flat-disk,sda,w' ]

and they create a partition table inside mine/trial.my.flat-disk.
(that's what I thought of when saying I don't like the layering).

Don' know if this difference can make your config not working, it
still seems to e good enough to boot, but it's worth a try.

Henning