RE: [Xen-users] Config: Paravirtualization and Full Virtualization

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 11:54 +0200, Graeme Gerber wrote:
> Where's the difference in the guest installation (or maybe in the host
> installation?) when you install a Linux in paravirtualization mode, or
> in full virtualization mode (VT or pacifica)?
>
> g>> Full gives better performance from what I hear.  Your hardware
> should be suitable and the bios option enabled.
> If you know anything about bios pls do let me know as Sony have
> disabled this option in there bios.

Full gives better performance for the Xen client - but since Para does
not require complete hardware emulation (and requires optimized Xen
kernels), it results in better performance overall, especially if you
have multiple Xen clients.

Many laptop mfrs disable VT, even if the Intel CPU supports it (AMD
VT-capable systems can't have VT disabled). There's a long HP thread on
the topic (which is also covered in /.)
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1051601

There are also interesting Wikis on the topic
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/IntelVT
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM_Compatible_Notebooks

Thanks,
Mike