RE: [Xen-users] Linux software RAID1 (Dom0 or domU)?

[snip list gunk]

> Wouldn't there be a performance impact if the RAID was in a
> DomU? Every
> I/O request would have to go through a hypercall to the Dom0
> to perform
> the I/O task and then send the data back. And since this is
> software RAID
> it isn't a single I/O request, it is *potentially* (depending
> on the RAID
> level) an I/O request per drive in the RAID. While the Dom0
> is not running
> the actual RAID algorithms (mdadm stuff, or raidtools for the
> older crowd)
> it is still handling alot of I/O and the associated overhead for the
> hypercalls for each request. I understand what Mats is saying about
> putting it in a DomU will not starve ALL the other DomU's as
> if it is in
> Dom0, but it really isn't saving the Dom0 much work.
>
> Since Xen is currently prone to I/O wait issues with alot of DomU's I
> would strongly suggest getting a hardware RAID card unless
> the server has
> alot of processing power and not alot of I/O intesive DomU's on it.
>
> Just my thoughts.

Very good points (I did say that I had never run software raid!)

The increase in I/O requests from DomU to Dom0 will be adding to the
Dom0 load if DomU is doing the software raid, that is correct. Of
course, that's less load in Dom0 than also doing the software raid
functionality itself, but it even further increases the IO latency,
compared to doing two requests within Dom0.

I agree that hardware raid is the leanest option (cpu-wise, maybe not
for the bank).

--
Mats