Re: [Xen-users] Linux software RAID1 (Dom0 or domU)?

> Mats,
>
> The problem when you use guest domain to create MD-RAID array is that the
> array will only be visible to that guest domain. If we create array in
> domain0, we can make it visible to all guest domains.
>
> I think this is also the benefit to use domain0 to manage MD-RAID array.
>
> Regards,
>
> Liang

Wouldn't there be a performance impact if the RAID was in a DomU? Every
I/O request would have to go through a hypercall to the Dom0 to perform
the I/O task and then send the data back. And since this is software RAID
it isn't a single I/O request, it is *potentially* (depending on the RAID
level) an I/O request per drive in the RAID. While the Dom0 is not running
the actual RAID algorithms (mdadm stuff, or raidtools for the older crowd)
it is still handling alot of I/O and the associated overhead for the
hypercalls for each request. I understand what Mats is saying about
putting it in a DomU will not starve ALL the other DomU's as if it is in
Dom0, but it really isn't saving the Dom0 much work.

Since Xen is currently prone to I/O wait issues with alot of DomU's I
would strongly suggest getting a hardware RAID card unless the server has
alot of processing power and not alot of I/O intesive DomU's on it.

Just my thoughts.

Ryan