[Xen-users] Re: dual core/dual proc

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 09:09:43PM -0900, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> Matthew Palmer wrote:
> >On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 08:19:33PM -0900, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> >>Is anybody running dual processors with dual cores that works with Xen?
> >>I have been trying to find such a board and have had no luck in finding
> >>a definite answer. If anyone is doing this, can you tell me what procs
> >>and what board you are using?
> >
> >We've got 2.8GHz Xeons in Dell 1850s and Opteron 275s on Tyan (I think)
> >boards and have never had any problem running Xen on any of them.  What
> >dual-core specific problems are you seeing?
>
> No problems, I just don't want to spend a lot of money and have it not
> be able to do what I want.

Oh, I see.  I misread your message as saying that you were having problems
with an existing hardware setup.

> Is only the Xeon and Opteron dual cores able to be used in a dual
> processor config?

I'm not real sure about the Xeon, but the Opterons come in three (from
memory) different "series" -- 1xx, 2xx, and 8xx.  That first digit indicates
the maximum number of CPUs that can work together, so any 2xx Opteron that's
dual core will satisfy your requirements, while a 1xx Opteron won't do the
job.

Spreading the net wider, I have to say that I'm not particularly familiar
with the abilities of the "cheaper" CPU ranges (Pentium, Athlon64, X2, etc),
as we're all Xeon/Opteron where I work.

Really, you're best off speaking to a hardware supplier about CPU/board
combos, as they'll know what will work together with what.

A word of caution: although I'm a general fan of AMD CPUs, I've had a lot of
problems with getting solid Linux compatibility out of motherboards
recently; I think that there's just a lack of good chipsets out there for
AMDs with solid Free driver support.  As such, buying a Xeon system with an
Intel-chipset motherboard will probably, statistically, give you less
problems than AMD systems (as much as it pains me to admit it).

- Matt

--
"People can be divided into three classes: The few who make things happen,
the many who watch things happen, and the overwhelming majority who have no