RE: [Xen-users] RE: XEN future....? RESEARCH :- Do participate.....

  • To: "anant" <ANigam@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:27:10 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 03:27:43 -0800

Ok, so lets assume you want to use the "desktop" on the Linux distro:

Add a piece of script to the .bashrc:
if -z $VM_STARTED ; then
  export VM_STARTED=1
  xm create some-vm-config;
fi

In .bashlogout:
if -n $VM_STARTED ; then
   vm shutdown some-vm-name;
   export -n VM_STARTED;
fi

This is perhaps not perfect, but it gets something similar to what you
asked for.

What I'm really trying to say is that there's ways to create a VM based
on some script that is being run at some point - depending on what you
want to do, you may find that the above is OK for you, or not.

> And about drivers thingy, i am just talking in general like
> if there is a
> new version of graphic card for instance so windows come up
> with a drivers
> for that but windows which is running over virtual machine
> wont be able to
> get that as it would take few months to hv drivers for linux.
> Well usually
> linux drivers comes after 3-4 months of windows one. So thats
> a drawback i
> was telling about...nothing much really.

Yeah, and that's a problem to XEN in which way? A whole lot of people
aren't using the latest, very newest, graphics card anyways. And many
graphics cards DO work with older drivers, but perhaps at a lower
performance level.

> >But why would ANY NORMAL person use virtualization at all?
> Well there are many normal users who prefer having running
> two OS, so they
> go for partitioning disk and all but virtualization could
> help out without
> partioning the sys. Well There are many users who use
> computers in business
> and are not a computer freak and just want 2 or more OS for
> watever reason .

Give me one example of a "normal" user that needs two OS's on the same
machine simultaneously (as I see it, partitioning the disk is MUCH
easier to manage, but it depends on what you want to do).

> So they just want a simple approach to start OS.

And logging in and typing "xm create somename" is very complicated, in
your opinion? Are we talking about auntie Mable, or someone who actually
knows a bit about using a computer? Why would my mum want to run Windows
as a VM in a Linux box? [Although I think if I wrote down "xm create
somename" on a piece of paper, I would only get a call from my mum when
she'd lost the piece of paper...].

> So i just meant that at the moment its not that user friendly
> that anyone
> could start that up and perform basic task.
> Well the problem that i am trying to get on with simple that
> i am looking
> over the prospects if our clients use XEN to have windows OS
> without knowing
> anything about linux host. Which i think would not work for
> atleast 1 to 2
> yrs.
>
> At the moment i think xen is good among the comp freaks with in big
> companies to solve their general problems . Can not be
> promoted on a large
> scale till it becomes user friendly...

Userfriendly to whom?

> Well and yeh what about xen express. I have not tried that
> yet. Which distro
> does it included inn.. I would definately give it a try.

XenExpress is not distributed "in a distribution", it's distributed by
XenSource, and comes in a package to be installed on your existing
distribution of Linux.

See: http://www.xensource.com/products/xen_express/

--
Mats