Re: [Xen-users] Determining server load

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Tim Stoop" <tim.stoop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:58:46 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:58:34 -0800

On 2/11/07, Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx> wrote:
Apart from me gfailing to see what you mean with "clear view":

Ah yeah, sorry about that. I meant, without Xen you can get some
statistics of your server (load and mem usage, mostly) to determine if
you should run any more services on the machine. If either is too
high, you're probably better off using another server (or reducing the
load first). It's not something that is a clear yes or no, but at
least I've a gut feeling about it when I see the numbers.

xentop, xm list --long

Okay, I'll look into these.

Net IO can also be seen in Xentop, and in xm output I think, as well
as in ifconfig. I don't know of disk IO, but I also don't know where
to see disk IO data apart from benchmark tools, which is not what we
talk about here, I assume)

Ah, yeah, I was a thinking about something like "vmstat -d" and a tool
like mrtg to display the activity. But I want to see the activity for
the complete machine, not just for one domU.

Any thoughts?

--
Gegroet,
Tim