[Xen-users] Xen network bridge questions (using network configuration tools provided by distribution)

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:09:41 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 04:09:03 -0800

Hi list!

I'm trying to figure out a way to use network configuration scripts provided
by the distribution to manage network/bridge configuration with xen..

This means I dont't want use xen "network-bridge" (or any other) script at
all, because they are a bit limited in functionality.

I want to setup VLAN interfaces with the scripts/tools provided by the
distribution, and bridge each VLAN separately, so I can flexibly assign
(and manage) specific VLAN's to domU's. This does not work with the default
xen network-bridge script (the black magic it does seems to fail with VLAN
interfaces).

Example configuration:

peth0.X == xenbrX
peth0.Y == xenbrY

peth1.Z == xenbrZ
peth1.W == xenbrW

Default Xen network-bridge script does the following (in addition to other
things):

1. Changes the MAC-address of peth0 to FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. If I have another
physical interface, peth1, can it have the same MAC address, or does it have
to be different?

2. Sets peth0 to NOARP (disables ARP). Why is this? Is it a requirement?

3. Sets xenbr0 to NOARP. Same question goes for this.

I have working setup with FC6 network scripts/tools, but I'd like to make
sure I do the correct things.

Thanks!

-- Pasi