[Xen-users] Xen Enterprise and templates

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Angel L. Mateo" <amateo@xxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:56:22 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 03:55:59 -0800

Hello,

        I am trying to use Xen Enterprise (its free version). Until now I have
no problem, but now I want to create a new virtual machine based in
debian etch, not debian sarge (the debian version included in xen
templates). So I am looking for a way to create my own template, but I
haven't found any documentation about that.

        Looking the files, I have found that templates are stored in a .xgt
file, that it's a zip file that contains a tar.bz2 for the file system
and a template.dat file that describes the contents:

(xgt
  (xgt-version 4)
  (xgt_restricted 'true')
  (name 'Debian Sarge Guest Template')
  (rootfs-type 'ext3')
  (description 'Debian for XenEnterprise')
  (distrib debian)
  (root-vbd sda1)

  (boot_params "quiet")

  (filesystem
    (uri root.tar.bz2)
    (function root)
    (type tar-wholedisk)
    (vbd sda)
    (total_size 5368709120)
    (used_size 455628081)
  )

  (filesystem
    (uri 'swap.img')
    (function swap)
    (type img)
    (vbd sdb)
    (total_size 536870912)
    (used_size 536870912)
  )
)

        I have tried to put a root.tar.bz2 with debian etch contents and then
create a new etch.xgt with this new tar.bz2 and it works, but the
problem is that I want to split the image between varios file systems,
so I could have a /usr and /var partition in the image. So I have tried
to put more (filesystem ....) entries in the file, but then I can't
create de VM.

        Is there any documentation explaining how to create my own template?
How do I have to put varios filesystems in the template.dat file?

--
Angel L. Mateo MartÃnez
SecciÃn de TelemÃtica