Van: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Namens Mike Lee
Verzonden: donderdag 1 maart 2007 5:43
Aan: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Onderwerp: [Xen-users] Using multiple logical volumes for partitions in domUs

Hello Everyone,

  I am trying setup a guest domain config file to use multiple logical volumes as the installation partitions for the guest domain.  The guest OS boots from a CentOS 4.4 iso image.  However if I try and specify the physical device in the config file as partitions instead of hard drive devices, the CentOS installer says it does not detect any hard drives.  Below is how I would like it to function and have seen many configs with the same, however the below config does not work:

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/VolGroup1/boot,hda1,w',
'phy:/dev/VolGroup1/swap,hda2,w'
'phy:/dev/VolGroup1/root,hda3,w'
'phy:/dev/VolGroup1/data,hda4,w'
'file:/home/mike/Desktop/CentOS- 4.4-x86_64-binDVD.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]

     If I specify the disk for the guest domain as disk = [ 'phy:/dev/VolGroup1/boot,hda,w,...... ] and remove the other phy: listings, then the guest domain boots and finds a hard drive.  However, since I am using logical volumes, my goal is to have the boot, swap, root, etc... partitions on their own logical volumes.  Therefore, I can resize the volumes and the volume's partition when needed.  Exporting just one volume as the entire disk for the guest domain and then having the guest OS create the boot, swap, and root partitions within the volume defeats the purpose of being able to expand for future needs.
     Am I totally missing something here?  I am using Xen 3.0.4 community edition on an x86_64 Dell server. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Mike Lee