[Xen-users] xen 3.0.3, domUs all use eth1 for first network interface

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:46:47 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 08:45:57 -0800

Hi,

I've just finished installing Xen 3.0.3 on a server and now find
that every domU I create starts with an eth1 instead of eth0.  There
is no eth0 at all, according to "ifconfig" and "ip link".

Everthing works if I use the eth1, but this is a bit annoying as it
means that to move the domains between servers will require editing
of their configs.

The domUs use udev -- is this some strange interaction with that?  I
know I could use a udev rule to rename the device to eth0 based on
mac address, but this would be one more thing I'd have to configure
in each domain.

Is there a udev rule I could use to rename based on vif number?
i.e. vif-0 -> eth0?  From inside a domU:

# udevinfo -a -p /sys/class/net/eth1

Udevinfo starts with the device specified by the devpath and then
walks up the chain of parent devices. It prints for every device
found, all possible attributes in the udev rules key format.
A rule to match, can be composed by the attributes of the device
and the attributes from one single parent device.

  looking at device '/class/net/eth1':
    KERNEL=="eth1"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net"
    DRIVER==""
    ATTR{rxbuf_cur}=="64"
    ATTR{rxbuf_max}=="256"
    ATTR{rxbuf_min}=="64"
    ATTR{weight}=="64"
    ATTR{tx_queue_len}=="1000"
    ATTR{flags}=="0x1003"
    ATTR{mtu}=="1500"
    ATTR{operstate}=="up"
    ATTR{dormant}=="0"
    ATTR{carrier}=="1"
    ATTR{broadcast}=="ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff"
    ATTR{address}=="00:16:3e:3c:54:99"
    ATTR{link_mode}=="0"
    ATTR{type}=="1"
    ATTR{features}=="0x50003"
    ATTR{ifindex}=="4"
    ATTR{iflink}=="4"
    ATTR{addr_len}=="6"

  looking at parent device '/devices/xen/vif-0':
    KERNELS=="vif-0"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="xen"
    DRIVERS=="vif"
    ATTRS{devtype}=="vif"
    ATTRS{nodename}=="device/vif/0"

  looking at parent device '/devices/xen':
    KERNELS=="xen"
    SUBSYSTEMS==""
    DRIVERS==""

Cheers,