Re: [Xen-users] Does XEN support crash carts?

>      Awesome answers!  The XEN community rocks!
>
>      It now seems as if there is shred of truth
> to the 'myth'.  Still, XEN already has almost
> everything anyone might want - so I'm thinking of
> ways I might contribute to fix what I'm thinking
> might be a *very* smallish XEN limitation.  Please
> bear with me.  I'll attempt to explain.

OK, cool.

>      Recall from the beginning of this
> thread that I mentioned that VNC is almost
> always good enough.  I was bringing up the
> very rare 'crash cart' case.  For instance,
> a NIC card might be down/dysfunctional.
> Even with a down NIC, the null modem (cross-over)
> cable to the physical serial port works
> (as explained - Dom0 mediates/relays the chosen
> DomU serial traffic, etc.).  However ... unless
> I misunderstand something about VNC, VNC is
> *NOT* going to work with a down NIC.  If I
> recall correctly, VNC requires a TCP/IP
> connection.  Of course, I'm newbie ignorant
> of any special features tha might have been
> added to XvncD.  Am I spouting nonsense here?

No, you're not.  However, if you install a VNC viewer on dom0 then you could
fire it up on dom0's local console and get access to the domU framebuffer
that way.

>      So, in the glorious ignorance of a newbie,
> I'm guessing that the physical VGA/USB ports
> are not 'active' (on the back of the box).
> Any attempt to cable up a crash cart LCD/monitor,
> keyboard and/or mouse, to these inactive
> physical ports, will not work.  Right?  Or
> did I miss something major?

They'll work, you just can only get domain 0 talking to you.  So you'll have
dom0's VGA and USB connections; fire up the VNC viewer in dom0 and you'll be
set.

Dom 0 is a full Linux in its own right, with access to all the hardware: just
fire up an X server and it'll come out on the VGA port.  It's normally the
only domain privileged to do this, but you can use it to get to everything
else.

There's also a local console client that doesn't use any kind of networking,
but VNC is nice because it easily extends to the networked case.

Does that solve your problem?

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.