Re: [Xen-users] Does XEN support crash carts?

  • To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Steffen Hulegaard <shulegaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 10:16:35 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: "Foreman, Tim" <tforeman@xxxxxxxxx>, Jayson Vantuyl <jvantuyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steffen Hulegaard <shulegaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 01:26:49 -0800

     Awesome answers!  The XEN community rocks!

     It now seems as if there is shred of truth
to the 'myth'.  Still, XEN already has almost
everything anyone might want - so I'm thinking of
ways I might contribute to fix what I'm thinking
might be a *very* smallish XEN limitation.  Please
bear with me.  I'll attempt to explain.

     Recall from the beginning of this
thread that I mentioned that VNC is almost
always good enough.  I was bringing up the
very rare 'crash cart' case.  For instance,
a NIC card might be down/dysfunctional.
Even with a down NIC, the null modem (cross-over)
cable to the physical serial port works
(as explained - Dom0 mediates/relays the chosen
DomU serial traffic, etc.).  However ... unless
I misunderstand something about VNC, VNC is
*NOT* going to work with a down NIC.  If I
recall correctly, VNC requires a TCP/IP
connection.  Of course, I'm newbie ignorant
of any special features tha might have been
added to XvncD.  Am I spouting nonsense here?

     So, in the glorious ignorance of a newbie,
I'm guessing that the physical VGA/USB ports
are not 'active' (on the back of the box).
Any attempt to cable up a crash cart LCD/monitor,
keyboard and/or mouse, to these inactive
physical ports, will not work.  Right?  Or
did I miss something major?

     I'd really appreciate knowing if I'm
just all muddled here.  If I'm right, then
I suspect that this is the genesis of the
nit that I've heard picked with XEN.

     If this is a *tiny* XEN nit, then I'm very
tempted to see what might be done to fix it.
Since this is such a once-in-a-blue-moon nit,
I'm thinking perhaps nobody else has bothered
with it.  Obviously, this isn't a huge
priority (because VNC is *almost* always good
enough).  All the same, this sounds like a
potentially fun project (albeit a project
whose scope might be surprising - depending on
many things that I presently know very, very
little about ;-).

Thanks again,

--- Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://tx.downloads.xensource.com/downloads/docs/user/).

> [...]
> program that connects to a guest's virtual serial
> port and blats out data to
> a terminal.  It works just the same if you're using
> dom0's serial port, or
> dom0's VGA console, or logged into dom0 over ssh.
>
> dom0 retains ownership of the serial port, VGA, USB
> and almost all the other
> hardware at all times (unless you explicitly give
> control of some PCI device
> to a guest).
>
> When you are talking directly to the IO devices on
> the host system, you're
> talking to dom0.  If you want to get to a guest's
> framebuffer / keyboard, you
> can access it via dom0 - for instance by having
> domain 0 export it over the
> network using VNC.
>
> >      I really appreciate the clarification.  I
> > apologize for being such a newbie :-(  I've heard
> > some claims about there being some sort of
> > XEN limitation/deficiency here (and I've got
> > some limitations on what I can presently just try
> > myself).  At any rate, the premise that XEN v3.x
> > lacks any 'crash cart' support sounds like a myth.
> > Maybe this is just an out-of-date notion.
>
> Think of dom0 as being a combination of these
> things:
> * IP KVM for the running domUs (can relay their
> framebuffer and mouse /
> keyboard over the network)
> * serial console concentrator for the domUs (can
> relay their serial console
> over ssh / whatever - just log in to dom0 and run xm
> console)
> * management module for all the domUs (can shut them
> down (politely, or not),
> reboot them, etc without requiring login to the domU
> itself).  It can also
> core dump crashing domUs for later analysis, I
> believe.
>
> dom0 is effectively like a software implementation
> of a sophisticated
> management card, or like the hypervisor console
> found on IBM mainframes.  It
> just happens to also be a Linux environment.  You
> just need to be able to
> access dom0 over the network to do all these things;
> otherwise, log into dom0
> with your crash cart and you can do this stuff using
> that instead.
>
> Does that help clarify things a bit?  The ability to
> do this sort of stuff is
> one of the big wins of virtual machine technology on
> servers - (Xen's
> competitors tend to offer this type of functionality
> too).
>
> Don't hesistate to ask if you have any more
> questions.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>
> PS. another "management processor"-like feature is a
> software watchdog device
> which runs *outside* of the virtual machine so that
> no amount of corruption
> of the domU kernel can cause it to fail.  I'm
> working on this at the moment,
> and hoping to get it in to the 3.0.6 release at

=== message truncated ===