[Xen-users] Re: Mounting domU filesystem on Dom0. (xm mount)

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 01:03:17PM +0100, ?lvaro L?pez Garc?a wrote:
> Ligesh wrote:
> > What's the opinion of the people here in the list about a mount command?
> > This will solve quite a lot of problems that we are facing now vis-a-vis
> > xen, and I think even UML has some mechnism whereby you can mount certain
> > directories in the domU to the dom0.
> >
> What should this command do? Just mount the filesystem on the dom0? I
> don't really get what you mean...

 Mount it through the domU kernel, so that you can do real time operations on
it. The code has to be implemented in both domU and dom0 Kernels. The
functionality should be equivalent to nfs mount, but it should work without
network, that's all.

[quote]

> If you want to backup the system have you tried evms[1] and its
> snapshotting?
>
> [1] http://evms.sourceforge.net/
[/quote]

 LVMs are not the solution. You need the domU kernel's help to do anything
without completely ruining the filesystem. Currently, I think the best way
would be customize a simple nfsd for this purpose.