[Xen-users] network packet storm e1000_clean_tx_irq: Detected Tx Unit Hang

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Luke S. Crawford" <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:31:31 -0700 (PDT)
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:30:36 -0700

I've got a multi-bridge setup here; xenbr 0 through 5. In fact, we have several identical setups. Well, one of them gives us a packet storm that looks a lot like what you get when you bridge two switches twice without STP. The bridges look okay, though; also, I notice the TX packet count is massively high on peth2, but it is reasonable on both eth2 and vif0.2 (and on eth0 within the DomU attached to xenbr2)

I get the following errors in dmesg when the switch port for peth2 is enabled (shortly thereafter it eats the network)

e1000: peth2: e1000_watchdog_task: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
xenbr2: port 2(peth2) entering learning state
xenbr2: topology change detected, propagating
xenbr2: port 2(peth2) entering forwarding state
e1000: peth2: e1000_clean_tx_irq: Detected Tx Unit Hang
  Tx Queue             <0>
  TDH                  <a0>
  TDT                  <a2>
  next_to_use          <a2>
  next_to_clean        <a0>
buffer_info[next_to_clean]
  time_stamp           <1007bc816>
  next_to_watch        <a0>
  jiffies              <1007bc93e>
  next_to_watch.status <0>
e1000: peth2: e1000_clean_tx_irq: Detected Tx Unit Hang
  Tx Queue             <0>
  TDH                  <a0>
  TDT                  <a2>
  next_to_use          <a2>
  next_to_clean        <a0>
buffer_info[next_to_clean]
  time_stamp           <1007bc816>
  next_to_watch        <a0>
  jiffies              <1007bca06>
  next_to_watch.status <0>

Ideas? do you think the 'tx unit hang' is causing the network spew? or that the network spew is causing the 'tx unit hang' ? I was guessing the former simply because the network spew is only seen on peth2; it's not seen on any other interface.