Re: [Xen-users] Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U

> <http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/InstallationNotes#head-64f7b0db4fee44809
>a97a827e92fa9ed27a732a8>
>
> I see the section entitled:
>
> Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U
>
> which describes changing the Makefile line:
>
> KERNELS ?= linux-2.6-xen0 linux-2.6-xenU
>
> to read as follows:
>
> KERNELS ?= linux-2.6-xen
>
> But the Makefile in 3.0.2 already reads:
>
> KERNELS ?= linux-2.6-xen
>
> So I'm confused.
>
> Does this mean that the default configuration has (since the wiki note
> was written) been changed so that I am, by default, using the -xen
> kernel rather than the -xen0/U kernel?

Yes, the configuration has changed.

> If so, what if I want to use the -xen0/U kernel?

You can change it back, building xen0/U kernels is still supported.

> I'm new to Xen, so please pardon me if this is a silly question.  I
> searched the archive for comments related to this but didn't find any in
> the last year.
>
> I will be wanting to use as many different virtual machine types as I
> can, and so I suspect that I will need different kernels for many of the
> VMs that I'll want to run.

Not really; the -xen0 or -xen kernels are both suitable to run in both dom0
and domU.  Unless you need a particular kernel version or want to run a
distro-provided kernel then I'd suggest that you just use the dom0 kernel
(and modules) in all domains.

> Will this configuration allow that?  Or will this configuration require
> that I use the same kernel for all of my VMs?

You can mix and match.  If you have an up-to-date Xen then pretty much any Xen
3.0-aware kernel will run on it (modulo PAE / 64-bit settings, which will
need to be matched).

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.