Re: [Xen-users] Possible to run Xen inside QEMU?

> I don't know if it's "impossible", but I wonder WHY you would want to
> run Xen inside QEMU? [Not saying you shouldn't be able to, I just don't
> quite see the point].

Actually, I've been running Xen with kqemu on my laptop so that I'll have
a "development box" wherever I am.

I also run several Xen "development boxes" inside a known-good version
Xen-unstable on an AMD-V machine (alongside PV and HVM Linuxes, HVM Windows,
PV Plan9 and various niche OSes).

My favourite "added benefit" from this setup: my AMD-V box is a "legacy free"
system and doesn't have such niceties as a serial port.  I also don't have a
remote power supply.  The virtual machines I'm running on it *do* have an
emulated serial port, and I can "xm reboot" them at any time: they're
actually better for kernel development than the host machine is :-D

Cheers,
Mark

> It's also worth noting that Xen uses a few things that are slightly
> different from the "regular" OS's (Linux, Windows, etc), and using
> instructions in ever so slightly different ways can cause you to hit
> things in emulators that aren't emulated correctly [in Xen's HVM we hit
> this from time to time when someone tries to run a different OS - until
> very recently OS/2 didn't work, for example].
>
> This is corner cases of unusual instructions and modes that don't get
> run very often in "normal code", which means that it's more likely that
> you'd hit "bugs" in these areas.
>
> --
> Mats
>
> > regards