Re: [Xen-users] Anti-virus for use in para-virtualized Xen

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Mark Greenbank" <mark.greenbank@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 12:41:40 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 09:40:40 -0700

On 4/4/07, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

I presume the reason they have a standard set of kernels is that they
"meddle" with the kernel and don't supply source-code, which means that
a Xenified kernel doesn't match the expected kernel layout, and thus
can't use the module? [And it's understandable from some aspects that
the AV guys don't really want the V-guys to see the source-code...]

This is a serious limitation with the way the kernel is architected -- a defined kernel interface (e.g., DDI/DKI for both function calls and structures) and loadable modules/drivers are not encouraged, which means that there is a proliferation of customized kernels out there. This really limits the utility of the Linux kernel in a production envronment. I myself am stuck at Core 5 for my (production) laptop since I'm worried that upgrading to the latest+greatest disto will break my VMWare installation and various other components that depend on interfacing with the kernel. I'd love to move to Core 6 but I don't have enough pain to live with having to hack the VMWare modules. With Core 7 around the corner, I suspect that my motivation to hack will increase :)

Mark