[Xen-users] Questions related to iSCSI storage for DomU

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Angel Lopez" <angel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 00:57:18 +0200 (CEST)
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:56:14 -0700

Hi,

I've two questions related to the use of a shared iSCSI storage for the
DomU disk and swap block devices:

The first. When we use iSCSI (or other kind of network shared storage) for
the domU disks, is recommended to use it for the swap partition too? I
think that maybe is better to use a local swap partition for better
performance but I don't know if live migration could be possible if the
swap isn't in the network storage, I think it's needed to have disk and
swap in the shared storage, is this correct?

The second. Which is the best method to get persistent device names for
the domU disk and swap block devices? I think that the use of
/dev/disk/by-path or /dev/disk/by-uuid symbolic links is a good and clean
way to get it, but maybe  there's a better way. The udev tricks didn't
like so much... which is the most popular way to get it?

Thanks.