RE: [Xen-users] gaming in a windows domU?

  • To: "Andrew Yates" <andrewyates@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:58:43 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:57:46 -0700

Won't work with currently available (home) hardware (software also won't
let it happen, but that's EASY to solve compared to getting the hardware
necessary). If you manage to get a IBM server with a Calgary IOMMU, and
the relevant software to drive the IOMMU, I suppose you'd have some
small chance.

> Has anyone tried this? I'm curious as to whether it's fast enough for
> recent games to be playable. The video card and CPU can handle gaming
> fine, but I'm not sure how much Xen would effect that. So has anyone
> done this? How well did it work?

If you were to have an IOMMU in the system, and you don't have too many
(any?) other domains interfering, I'd say you should get reasonable
graphics and overall performance.

--
Mats