RE: [Xen-users] uniq mac address generator

  • To: "trilok nuwal" <tc.nuwal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:36:05 +0200
  • Cc: Xen list <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 06:36:35 -0700

I just had a look at the script, and it uses "/dev/urandom", which is a
device that generates random bytes. The upper half (3 bytes) of the
mac-address is a constant (but you have two choices based on whether you
choose "static" or "random" mac-address).

The other three bytes are taken from "urandom", which we assume is a
good random number generator, so relatively equal probability of hitting
all numbers (_NO_ random number generator is absolutely perfect, but
it's not extremely hard to make one that gives reasonably good equality
in probability). Given a 3-byte combination, you have 1 in 2^24
(16777216) to hit the same number with another machine. It's not very
likely to happen. Presumably this is only done when creating a new
domain, which isn't a very frequent occurrence [I think], which in turn
means that you're very unlikely to match with another MAC address in
your lifetime.

> Any other thing that we can try to insure the 100% uniq addresses.
> If we use the mac genearted by xen itself then Could we get
> the uniqness ?

No, because it also uses a very similar technique of random numbers.

> I dont think so it could insure uniqness. Because xen also
> genrate the same way as easymac do .

Exactly.

> If we change the easymac a bit for differnet users then
> probably we can achieve the uniqness.

If each easymac script uses different numbers (and otherwise unusued in
the mac-address range) in the three first digits, then you should have
no problem.

The only way to entirely guarantee that YOUR mac-address is unique is to
have a world-wide store of mac-addresses that are known, and "register"
yours there to ensure that you are the owner of that address and no-one
else uses it [but that also assumes that EVERYONE has access to this
mac-address database]. But as stated before, they don't need to be
unique other than within your own network [up to the gateway]. Once it's
outside YOUR network, the mac-address is meaningless.

--
Mats