Re: [Xen-users] Patching libc for xen

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "john maclean" <jayeola@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:37:16 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:36:07 -0700

I've grabbed a specs file from BLAG's repositary and have observed the
following after running `occur` within emacs. specs file for glibc.

26 lines matching "xen" in buffer glibc.spec.
    8:%define xenarches i686 athlon
    9:%ifarch %{xenarches}
   10:%define buildxen 1
   11:%define xenpackage 0
   13:%define buildxen 0
   14:%define xenpackage 0
  137:%if %{xenpackage}
  138:%package xen
  139:Summary: The GNU libc libraries (optimized for running under Xen)
  143:%description xen
  145:perform as well under the Xen hypervisor.  This package
provides alternative
  146:library binaries that will be selected instead when running under Xen.
  148:Install glibc-xen if you might run your system under the Xen hypervisor.
  931:%if %{buildxen}
  992:%if %{buildxen}
 1216:%if %{xenpackage}
 1293:%if %{buildxen}
 1511:%if %{xenpackage}
 1512:%post xen -p /sbin/ldconfig
 1513:%postun xen -p /sbin/ldconfig
 1525:%if %{buildxen} && !%{xenpackage}
 1562:%if %{xenpackage}
 1563:%files -f nosegneg.filelist xen
 2230:- put xen libs into the glibc-2*.i686 package instead of a separate one
 2250:- glibc-xen subpackage for i686
 2455:  - double buffer size in getXXbyYY or getXXent on ERANGE

This could mean that I'm good to go if i use the right switch(es)
during the build, right?

On 24/04/07, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 24 April 2007, john maclean wrote:
> BLAG Linux - a Fedora Core variant. Normally with Debian I'd `apt-get
> -y install libc6-xen`, but that's not possible in this instance.

And you're getting the complaint that you need to disable TLS?  Fedora has for
some time, included a Xen-aware libc build which should be selected
automatically when the system boots into a Xenified kernel.  Maybe BLAG don't
include this...

Cheers,
Mark

> On 24/04/07, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What distro are you using?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
> >
> > On Tuesday 24 April 2007, john maclean wrote:
> > > I'm having a bit of bother booting a dom0 as I'm being told that I
> > > should have a xen-friendly glibc `mv /lib/tls /lib/tls.disabled` ain't
> > > happening. I'm ready to patch it but I have some questions:-
> > > - What options or switches should I use?
> > > - If I get it right for xen, what effect could it have on the rest of
> > > the system?
> > > - Am I correct in thinking that it's best to patch a version similar
> > > to that in my distro's repo?
> >
> > --
> > Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat?  And no
> > pedals! Mark: To answer a question with a question: What use is a
> > skateboard? Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
> > Mark: My wheel has a wheel!

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!

--