Re: [Xen-users] Fully Virtualized guest on non-VT hardware?

On Apr 24, 2007, at 1:50 PM, Ihtisham Khaja wrote:

Hi-

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop VGN-FJ290P with an Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750 (1.86 GHz, FSB 533, Cache 2MB).

I also have a MacBook with a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor (64 bit).

What I want to do is create a virtual cluster on each of these machines that is representative of a real cluster that has some AMD nodes.

So I am wondering do I go down the Fully Virtualized route?
Given the hardware is it even possible to go down this path?

I am a newbie to virtualization, so any comments would be very helpful

I am not positive, but I do not think the Sony's processor supports VT. The MacBook with a Core 2 Duo definitely does. I'm currently working on getting Gentoo running under Xen 3.0.4 on that hardware (using a 64-bit Gentoo environment). You can put up to 3GB of RAM in a MacBook Pro which would be plenty for you to mock up a small cluster. I'm not sure of the maximum RAM for a regular MacBook but it's at least 2 GB.

So, I think it is possible to go down this path on the MacBook, but you'll need to use paravirtualization for the Sony laptop.

Yes, I think it's possible given this hardware. Good luck.

cr