RE: [Xen-users] 'Wandering' eth interface - Xen 3.0.4 + linux 2.6.16.29

  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:18:30 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 08:18:47 -0700

You can probably fix this by setting a fixed MAC address. This isn't
Xen's fault, it's because your distro believes that a particular device
should always be given the same ethN number, and it records the MAC
address to remember which interface has which MAC. Since Xen's
auto-numbering is pseudo-random, each time you start a domain again, it
will have a different MAC-address (unless you do it many enough times to
find a collision, but that's not going to happen very often with 2^24
possible combinations). [Note, only some distros do this].

I think there are other possible "fixes" (e.g. modifying the script that
figures out which MAC address corresponds to which ethN device name),
but giving a fixed MAC address is a good practice anyways if you are
planning to use your domains for anything serious.

--
Mats