Re: [Xen-users] 'Wandering' eth interface - Xen 3.0.4 + linux 2.6.16.29

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 01:09:43AM +1000, TMC wrote:

> The problem I am observing in that one domain is that on reboot, the
> eth interface seems to "wander" - that is  monotonically increase the
> index value...

You (your linuxdistro) told it to do so. Once those distributions detect
a net yet known mac on a network-interface they assign a net eth-interface
to it.
If you get a different mac on every systemboot your eth-interface keeps
changing.

> Is there a method of pinning or making this behaviour consistent?
You can do two things about it:
- delete that persistance-information on early systemstart or on shutdown,
on suse sles10 its in /etc/udev/rules.d/30-net_persistent_names.rules, on
debian sid in /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
- or configure your domU-networkinterface to use always the same mac

Christian