Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 versus DomU and sata DVD drives

Hi Stephen,

I cc-ed this back onto xen-users, hope you don't mind.

> > There's not currently a way to allow domUs to get full CD-ROM
> > functionality without passing an entire SATA controller to them using PCI
> > passthrough.  I suspect for your desktop-based testing application it's
> > not worth it.  In particular, domUs can currently only read data from a
> > CD, they can't write to it.  Also, AFAIK they can't treat the CD as an
> > audio disk either.
>
> That's good enough for me and I can see the CD as read only in the
> paravirtualized linux domains.  I'll test with RHEL4 and RHEL 3
> tomorrow.

Cool.  Paravirtualised domains don't strictly see it as a CD at all -
CD-related ioctls won't work for instance.  But for many purposes this does
not matter.

> Is there a trick to getting the CDROM to show up in XP?

I just dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/mycd.iso then export the iso file to XP.

I was under the impression that you should be able to give HVM guests access
to the real CD-ROM drive too, but I never got that working when I tried it.
I think in principle you just export /dev/cdrom with something like:

disk [ ... other disks ..., 'file:/dev/cdrom,hdc:cdrom,r', ... ]

If you're lucky it might even let the guest eject the host cd rom drive - ISTR
seeing a patch for that at one point, don't know if it's applied yet.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!