Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 versus DomU and sata DVD drives

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Stephen Carville" <stephen.carville@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 07:07:02 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 08 May 2007 07:05:34 -0700

On 5/7/07, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

I cc-ed this back onto xen-users, hope you don't mind.

Not at all.  I would have done that myself if I'd been paying attention...

> > There's not currently a way to allow domUs to get full CD-ROM
> > functionality without passing an entire SATA controller to them using PCI
> > passthrough.  I suspect for your desktop-based testing application it's
> > not worth it.  In particular, domUs can currently only read data from a
> > CD, they can't write to it.  Also, AFAIK they can't treat the CD as an
> > audio disk either.
>
> That's good enough for me and I can see the CD as read only in the
> paravirtualized linux domains.  I'll test with RHEL4 and RHEL 3
> tomorrow.

Cool.  Paravirtualised domains don't strictly see it as a CD at all -
CD-related ioctls won't work for instance.  But for many purposes this does
not matter.

It's good enough for now.  I only need to see a boot CD or, sometimes,
a CD/DVD with data files that need to be copied.  Eventually I may
need to create virtual desktop boxes but they won't need a CD drive
anyway.

> Is there a trick to getting the CDROM to show up in XP?

I just dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/mycd.iso then export the iso file to XP.

Tried that but dd only copied abut 11M of the CD (MS Office).  HOwever
k3b seesm to have copied the so I can try again when IO get to work.

I was under the impression that you should be able to give HVM guests access
to the real CD-ROM drive too, but I never got that working when I tried it.
I think in principle you just export /dev/cdrom with something like:

disk [ ... other disks ..., 'file:/dev/cdrom,hdc:cdrom,r', ... ]

I've tried:

'phy:/dev/scd0,hdd:cdrom,r',

but not 'file: etc.'

I'll give that a try.

If you're lucky it might even let the guest eject the host cd rom drive - ISTR
seeing a patch for that at one point, don't know if it's applied yet.

I can appreciate teh difficulty of getting a device like the CD/DVD
drive to be shared by several VM's. I imagine the hypervisor will need
to enforce some kind of ownership of each such device.

Cheers,
Mark

Thank for all your help.

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.