[Xen-users] xen-install on existing debian etch

Dear all,

I'd like to play around with XEN, but I'm rather new to this topic. Thus I would appreciate it very much to have your comments whether my approach is right or if I'm close to kill my server ;-)

As far as I got it after reading around on xensource.com and in some external howtos (I didn't found any howto regarding etch and xen-3.0.4 without LVM, Hardbeat or other sophisticated stuff I don't need, so plz point me to some useful if you know 'em), I'd go like this:

Installation with aptitude:
linux-image-2.6-xen-686
linux-image-2.6.20-1-xen-686
linux-image-xen-686
linux-modules-2.6.20-1-xen-686
xen-hypervisor-3.0.3-1-i386
xen-tools
xen-ioemu-3.0
xen-utils-3.0.3-1
xen-utils-common

linux-headers-2.6-xen-686
linux-headers-2.6.20-1-xen
linux-headers-2.6.20-1-xen-686

For the time being I run 2.6.18-3-k7 on a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU, thus a 32bit-system, which I would like to stay with. 2.6.20 seems not to exist as xen-k7, I would have to go with a 2.6.18 to have this - but maybe this is the better choice, 'cause my already compiled kernel modules would keep working?

Nevertheless, the 686 kernel should run on my system, right?

After installing the kernel I should have a new grub stanza to boot right into dom0. This would be my existing system, running the new xen kernel. Like everytime after installing a new kernel, right?

I would then start creating VMs via scripts from xen-tools. For the start file based VMs would do the job, partition based seems to much for just playing around.

That should be it, hopefully.

Or do I miss s.th. essentially?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Andre