[Xen-users] Re: [Bridge] Performance and limitations of virtual bridges

On Mon, 7 May 2007 20:32:17 +0200
FermÃn GalÃn MÃrquez <fermin.galan@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a limit in the number of interfaces a virtual bridge (created with
> brctl) can support without having a severe impact in performance?

The problem with lots of interfaces is that if destination address is not
known (or multicast/broadcast) the packet has to be copied and sent N times.

> I guess that there is no absolute answer for that question :), but maybe
> there is some kind of procedure/tool to know the "stress" or "load" that a
> virtual bridge is supporting in a given moment (in a similar way that a
> "top" can show you the CPU load).

Worst case is the flooding problem.

> My question is due to I'm using a virtual bridge with 14 interfaces (each
> interface correspond to a Xen virtual machine in the same physical host)
> and, given that I'm experiencing transmission delays in the network
> supported by the bridge, I'm suspecting about a loss of performance of it.

Probably when flooding it has to wake up all the guest machines and
that is sucking your performance on hypervisor switches.

Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>