[Xen-users] AMD or Intel?

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 11:21:58 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 23 May 2007 18:20:21 -0700

We are looking at buying a server to do virtualisation on, hopefully Xen
assuming all my testing goes well.

Has anyone done any benchmarks on CPU's from both AMD and Intel for Xen
HVM scenarios? AMD's are a bit cheaper but in the line of servers we are
looking at, only the Intel processors come in a quad core configuration,
which would mean we could buy a single quad core processor now and
upgrade later when required. With the AMD processors, there will be no
room to upgrade if we start with 4 processors.

All comments appreciated!

Thanks

James