[Xen-users] Building XEN with different config PROBLEM

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Steffen Heil" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:02:42 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 29 May 2007 02:01:23 -0700

Hello.

Up to version 3.0.4, I did the following to get two xen kernels (dom0 and
domU) with my own config:

wget http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads/...
make xen
make tools
make docs
make linux-2.6-xen0-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig
make linux-2.6-xen0-build
make linux-2.6-xen0-install
make linux-2.6-xen0-dist
make linux-2.6-xenU-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig
make linux-2.6-xenU-build
make linux-2.6-xenU-install
make linux-2.6-xenU-dist
make KERNELS="linux-2.6-xen0 linux-2.6-xenU" dist
cd dist/
tar czvf ../../server02/xen.tgz .

(Usually I loaded an old/alternative config and just changed a few options.)

However, this does not work any more for Xen 3.1.
All the steps themselfes work, however I always end up with kernels that
have the default-xen-config. (That has a lot of things I don't need, but not
my disk drivers.)

I also recognize that build-linux-2.6.18-xen0_x86_32/.config is never
changed to my configuration.
Where should it be stored?

As I have complete configs (stored them via "safe to alternative location"),
is there a way to simply build the two kernels using the two config files I
have?

BTW, I usually installed the tgz created above, by copying it to my dom0s,
unpacking them, running ./install.sh and copying /lib/modules/*domU* to the
domUs. (As the kernel is loaded from dom0, I do not copy them.) Is there
anything else I should do? Removing old files? Which? Something after
copying the modules? (I only have a few modules, most is build into the
kernel.)

Regards,
  Steffen