Re: [Xen-users] Does Xen 3.1 use NAT for virtual network by default?

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 02:23:20PM +0800, Free wrote:
> I installed Fedora 7 RC2 with Xen 3.1. When I created a virtual machine
> using Virtual Machine Manager (virt-manager-4.0), Xen 3.1 uses NAT for
> virtual network by default, but in Fedora 6 Xen 3.0.3 uses virtual switch by
> default.

No, that is not correct. Fedora Core 6 used bridging by default. In Fedora 7
XenD is still configured to use network-bridge. Previously virt-manager would
always set a new guest to use bridging. In Fedora 7 there is now an extra
screen when creating a new guest:

http://virt-manager.org/screenshots/install/wizard-network.png

If you choose a 'Virtual network' the guest will get NAT'd to the outside
world (this is nothing todo with Xen's network-nat script - the NAT is
handled by libvirt directly), or if you choose 'Shared physical device'
the guest will be bridged to the LAN.

> I checked the config file for xend: /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp. It was
> configured using network-bridge: (network-script network-bridge), not
> (network-script network-nat). Because I can get IP address from a DHCP
> server so it is not necessary for Xend to provide another NAT.
>
> Could you tell me how to change the virtual network from NAT to a common
> virtual bridge (virtual switch)? Thank you.

It sounds like you choose a 'Virtual nework' when creating the guest. If
you re-run the new guest wizard, try picking a shared physical device
instead.

Regards,
Dan,