RE: [Xen-users] Ubuntu domU install on hvm goes blank screen

  • To: "Didier Trosset" <didier_trosset@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:20:47 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 03:23:47 -0700

I'm going to assume that this is on an Intel processor, as I've never
seen this type of problem on AMD procesors. If I'm wrong, then I guess
there's something in the configuration that's wrong.

I suggest you try non-graphics install to begin with. This may not help,
but it's a possible solution.

> Looks like I have to install on real hardware and copy disk
> afterwards.
>
> What's the actual point here ?

The problem is that Intel decided to not allow real-mode in the guest.
Instead they use vm86-mode and emulation of individual instructions that
aren't allowed in vm86-mode. This is tricky and prone to failure when
the guest does "unexpected" stuff, such as switch from real-mode to
protected-mode and back again - the problem here is maintaing the
internal state in the guest segment registers, which is "hidden" in the
internal part of the segment registers.

There may also be a different problem, which had a patch submitted to
unstable last week [or so], which is to do with interrupt handling in
real-mode and the switch to protected-mode.

--
Mats