Re: [Xen-users] netfilter, conntrack, ip_nat_ftp problem

On Donnerstag 31 Mai 2007, Vladislav Kurz wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2007 08:34, Alexander Wilms wrote:
> > Hi Vladislav,
> >
> > this all sounds familiar to me. Both problems seem to be related to the
> > TCP/UDP Checksum problem. If you would look with wireshark into your
> > packets you would see a lot of wrong checksums. And this explains both:
> > Because of this the FTP nat helper doesn't rewrite the re-transmitted
> > packets anymore and also confuses the rest of the connection tracking.
> >

> > Solution is quite simple. Switch of tx checksumming of your nic(s). E.g.
> > "ethtool -K eth0 tx off"
> > You have to find out which of your nics need it. In my setup I had to
> > switch it off in dom0 and domU on all physical nics.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Alex
>
> Thanks a lot Alex,
>
> I switched off checksum offloading on domU and FTP NAT helper started to
> work. I still get some INVALID packets with FIN & RST flag set, and some
> bad tcp checksum in dom0 - domU traffic, so I will monitor it and perhaps
> switch off checksum on the real eth0 and xen-br0 (or the vifX) in dom0.
>
> Anyway I think this must have affected quite a lot of xen users. TCP
> checksum offloading must break any statefull firewall in dom0, or do I miss
> something? Why there is no note about this in docs? Or is our configuration
> so unusual? (dom0 as a firewall in front of domU guests)
>
> Thanks
>       Vladislav Kurz

Hi Vladislav,

no,  not so unusual. So also I don't understand why not more people reporting
this issue on the xen lists. (There was only one thread that I remember that
was related to that issue. It was like: Everything works, but DNS resolution
fails. This was also related to offloading features of the nic.)

But in shorewall list we discussed it and also in a xen book I read it was
topic. So the best hint so far you can find is maybe in the shorewall
documentation written by Tom Eastep.
http://www.shorewall.net/XenMyWay.html

Btw. my way of xen is a bit different. I'm running my firewall in a domU (with
PCI passthrough'ed nics) and (of course) have still same effects.

HTH,
Alex