Re: [Xen-users] Re: Setup WinXP with HVM and qemu image

On Friday 1 June 2007 12:22, Igor Chubin wrote:
> > qemu-dm.<pid>.log now contains:
> > domid: 7
> > qemu: the number of cpus is 1
> > shared page at pfn:1ffff, mfn: 1cdc2
> > buffered io page at pfn:1fffd, mfn: 1cdc4
> > xs_read(): vncpasswd get error.
> >        /vm/430a79b5-d4d5-92a7-82ef-b8be59f62749/vncpasswd.
> > char device redirected to /dev/pts/5
> > False I/O request ... in-service already: 0, pvalid: 0, port: 0, data: 0,
> >                                    count: 0, size: 0
> >
> > xm list gives:
> > [root@localhost ~]# xm list
> > Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State
> > Time(s) Domain-0                                   0     1488     2
> > r-----   1639.8 WindowsXP                                  7      517
> > 1 ------      0.2 So there seems to be slightly more activity (0.2),
> > although this time doesn't increase anymore.
> >
> > I have no idea how to proceed here. Any ideas ?
>
> My idea is
>
> try to run the domain from bootable cd (not from image)
> and look what happens.
>
> You must determine is the problem related to your image (which you
> have converted) or from something else.

So I tried your suggestion. I changed the disk line to
disk = [ 'file:/var/images/winxp.img,hda,w', 'phy:/dev/cdrom,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
and set
boot="dc"

I put a bootable Knoppix CD in the CD-drive (which I know works on real
hardware).
After xm create, I get a vnc console that now shows a QEMU Harddisk and a QEMU
CD/DVD rom (ata0 master and ata1 master respectively, the slaves are reported
as Unknown device).

Then the CD spins up, but nothing else happens. The cd just slows down again
after a moment.

This same thing happens when I only have the CDROM device, and no disk image:
CDROM drive is recognised, CD spins up, but nothing else.

Regards,

Geert
--
Kobalt W.I.T.